Manila casino attacker was indebted gambler

The Philippines has faced Muslim uprisings for decades, though much of the violence has occurred in the troubled south.

He said the Islamic State's attacks were "more cruel and brutal".

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) had claimed responsibility for the attack, but police insisted that all evidence disproved this.

Manila police had earlier revealed that Carlos was tens of thousands of dollars in debt and had a gambling problem.

He fled with $2 million in stolen casino chips, then forced his way into a room in an adjoining hotel and killed himself. The CCTV video shows how the robbery attempt went down.

The Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) and the Management Association of the Philippines (MAP) agreed with the President saying, the incident in Resorts World Manila does not present "just cause" for imposing martial law in Metro Manila. People were breaking windows in order to escape the smoke, but 37 people did not make it out alive. The other fatalities died apparently from smoke inhalation, after Carlos set gaming tables on fire before killing himself.

Atienza pointed out that casino security were "very strict and even rude" to ordinary casino-goers, "but when it came to this lone gunman, they were the first to flee".

The suspect torched gaming tables, slot machines and carpets before going to the storage room where casino chips were kept.

London Bridge Witnesses Tell LBC 12-Inch Blades And Gunfire
There was a BBC reporter who just happened to be on the bridge this evening, and what she said - her name is Holly Jones . One witness told Reuters that she saw what appeared to be three people with knife wounds and possibly their throats cut.


Investigators discovered the identity of the Resorts World Manila gunman by tracing Carlos' taxi ride back to a suburb. They found his wife there early Sunday.

Carlos walked into the Resorts World casino and hotel complex in Manila on Friday with an M4 automatic rifle and a bottle of petrol, before setting alight a number of different rooms in the complex, according to police accounts.

The attacker's mother, Teodora, in tears during the news briefing, asked for forgiveness, the wire service reports.

She said that the family was struggling to come to terms with what Carlos had done. They would just simply kill people for nothing.

He said Carlos had sold off property including a vehicle to support his habit of at least several years. Reports say Carlos was sacked from his Department of Financing job in 2014 "for grave misconduct and neglect of duty" because he failed to disclosed multiple items, including a house, vehicle, and other business interests. His family had grown so concerned they had asked casinos in the capital to ban their husband since April 3.

The family said he was more than £62,000 in debt "due to being hooked in casino gambling", according to Mr Albayalde. Philippine officials reject the ISIS connection and have stated it was not an act of terrorism.

Manila: Police Gen. Oscar Albayalde holds a copy of an image of a gunman who stormed the Resorts World Manila complex whom he identified as Jessie Carlos during a news conference Sunday, June 4, 2017.

"We will not allow people or any threat group to use this situation to advance their propaganda or personal causes whether foreign or local".

  • Sonia Alvarado