Police identify third London attacks suspect as Italian-Moroccan
- Author: Sonia Alvarado Jun 10, 2017,
Jun 10, 2017, 7:04
The families of the three London attackers have condemned their actions.
Reaction to the attack has dominated the final days of campaigning before Thursday's general election in Britain.
"Since then, every time he came back to Italy someone would wait for him at the airport and someone would come home here to talk to him, it was an intense job the one done by Italian police", she said. The assault was the third attack in three months in which most of the assailants had been on authorities' radar at some point.
One Pakistani official told The Telegraph that British officials had said that they suspected Butt had been radicalised in the United Kingdom rather than in Pakistan, but that they were carrying out searches of family members' houses in both Mujahidabad and Jhelum as a precaution.
Another neighbour, Muhammad Muskain, said: "I just only remember that Khurram Butt was 2-3 years old when he moved with his family to the UK".
It is thought that Choudary played a key role in Butt's radicalization, according to a British government official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the ongoing investigation.
Butt was considered to be potentially one of the most unsafe extremists in the United Kingdom, owing to his hardline views.
Murray Muddles Through; Nadal, Djokovic On Tap Friday at French Open
There was no sign of that early on, though, as the 27-year-old blasted forehand winners past a passive Murray. Juan Martin Del Potro is coming off a three set win over Nicolas Almagro that took 20 games to decide.
According to news website Politico, however, Italian authorities had passed on information about Zaghba to British security services.
Police and the security agencies are facing questions about whether they missed chances to thwart the attack. "That's where the question of resources comes into play".
On Tuesday, authorities said the 22-year-old lived in East London, but was an Italian national of Moroccan descent.
The BBC's home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said: "One unconfirmed report suggests that did happen, apparently when Zaghba arrived at Stansted Airport in January - but that border staff still let him in".
The British Transport Police officer, whose name was not disclosed, was stabbed in the head, face and leg and is still hospitalized after Saturday's attack. Twelve were later released. The company was looking into Italian media reports that Zaghba also was a former employee. All 12 previously detained have since been released without charge.
The alert to British authorities was a routine communication about a potential suspect, rather than an emergency red flag.
He was intercepted at Bologna airport previous year as he was about to board a plane for Turkey with security officials alerted by the fact that he was travelling with only a small backpack, his passport and a one-way ticket to Istanbul.