26 fall ill due to suspected food poisoning on Tejas Express
- Author: Sonia Alvarado Oct 16, 2017,
Oct 16, 2017, 0:11
"Today (Sunday), 26 passengers travelling in 22120 Karmali - CSTM Tejas Exp suffered from food poisoning".
Earlier, in a scathing report, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) had revealed major lapses on the part of Indian Railways catering services and said that the food and water sold at the railway stations and trains were "unfit for human consumption".
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal had, last month, asked officials to ensure that meals served on board trains carry information about quantity and the contractor supplying it, as the national carrier continues efforts to improve catering services. All the passengers with symptoms of food poisoning were admitted in a hospital. While Rao did not eat anything and so remain unaffected, there were at least three passengers sitting near him who had to be rushed to hospital in Chiplun for medical care.
"Passengers, who were admitted to the hospital, complained of uneasiness soon after having their breakfast served on the train".
Turkey prepared to retake Syria's northern strategic city
Calling the operation a "new step" to establish security in Idlib, he promised Turkey would not desert civilians there. Turkey, however, has backed rebels seeking Assad's ouster.
Tejas Express, which was launched on Goa-Mumbai route in June as India's first semi-high speed full AC train, has been in news mostly for controversies.
The train also comes equipped with vending machines serving tea and coffee, snack tables, books, and food items pertaining to the local cuisine. "This is unfortunate and strict action would be taken against all those responsible", said the official. A group of seven passengers complained of nausea and were attended to by the onboard supervisor. Till late evening all the passengers were said to be stable but they were kept under observation at the private hospital, said officials. "Food sample have been taken for investigation". His son Purohit was admitted to Lifecare Hospital.
He also said that the IRCTC has collected the raw material from the kitchen.