German police arrest man suspected of planning attack on Berlin half marathon
- Author: Ismael Montgomery Apr 09, 2018,
Apr 09, 2018, 0:17
Earlier on Sunday, Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said the government would do everything possible to protect citizens, but added: "We have again experienced that. absolute security is unfortunately not possible". Local reports said the driver shot himself repeatedly while sitting in the driving seat immediately afterwards.
The horrific crash came on the one year anniversary of the Stockholm terror attack where a hijacked lorry killed five people and seriously injured dozens.
That's lower than the figure police previously gave of three dead plus the driver.
The prosecutor said Jens B. had run-ins with the law relating to violent conduct, property damage and fraud, but all charges had been dismissed.
And broadcaster NTV reported he had threatened family members with an ax in 2014 and 2015.
Officers have been searching the man's four apartments - two in Munster and two in Saxony - as well as several cars.
Spokesman Jochan Laschki said the driver had no accomplices, and the investigation is ongoing.
Armed police cordoned off a wide area around the scene of the attack, urging residents to avoid the city center to allow investigators to get to work amid initial fears the country had suffered another extremist assault.
"Unbelievable that something like this could happen in Muenster".
"You can't really defend yourself against people with psychiatric problems".
ICE Is Chasing 'Violent Deportee' Who Escaped At The Airport
Port Authority Police Officers did not hear of the man's escape until 9:15 p.m., a police spokesman for the agency said. Kennedy International Airport, leaped into a yellow taxi cab and darted off, officials and law enforcement sources say.
Authorities have identified the two fatalities of Saturday's crash as a 51-year-old woman from Lueneburg County and a 65-year-old man from Broken County.
An unknown number of Dutch nationals were also injured in the melee, officials said.
"This was a disgusting and sad day for the people of Munster, all of Germany. and also the people of the Netherlands, who were sitting here and became victims", he said.
Following the incident, the interior minister of North Rhine-Westphalia said there was no indication that the attack was linked to Islamic terrorism.
"Nothing indicates at the moment that there's an Islamist background", Reul said.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel says she is "deeply shocked by the bad events in Muenster".
French President Emmanuel Macron also sent his condolences, tweeting: "All my thoughts are with the victims of the attack in Muenster".
The attack is the latest in a string across Europe in which vehicles have been used to ram into crowds of people in public places.
He was shot dead by Italian police in Milan four days later while on the run.
The worst of those saw a Tunisian asylum seeker ram a truck into crowds at a Berlin Christmas market in December 2016, killing 12.