Teens snort condoms then pull them through mouths in disturbing new trend

The challenge involves snorting an unwrapped condom through a nostril and pulling it out through the throat. What could go wrong?

It's a game called the "condom-snorting challenge" and, not unlike other unsafe dares that have swept social media, teenagers have been doing it - for years now.

"Because these days our teens are doing everything for likes, views, and subscribers", Texas education specialist Stephen Enriquez tells KMPH. It's called, of course, the condom challenge. Another woman accidentally swallowed the condom and it blocked her appendix, leading to appendicitis.

There are actually cases of "accidental condom inhalation" in the medical literature.

Forbes said in an article on Saturday that snorting condoms poses several risks - including getting it stuck in your nose or throat, with the risk of suffocation. As Kens5 puts it, "There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, but the line isn't so fine when people snort condoms".

US Congress approves $1.3 trillion budget, averting shutdown
The bill signing came a few hours after Trump created last-minute drama by saying in a tweet that he was "considering" a veto. But Trump praised the bill's provisions to increase military spending and said he had "no choice but to fund our military".


Like other viral fads, this one has been around for years but is just now catching fire on social media, mostly via YouTube.

The spermicidal lubricant found on most condoms can also irritate the inner lining of the nose and cause allergic reaction or infection.

"Even if you manage to successfully pull the condom out through your mouth, inhaling a condom up your nose would be very uncomfortable and potentially quite painful", Lee wrote. Condom snorting, apparently, is the latest fad making its rounds on social media in the United States.

We concur. Let the record show that while we pooh-pooh the media's claims that condom snorting rises to the level of a "trend", we urge anyone tempted to try it to think hard about the possible consequences, which could, in fact, be dire.

Some past video challenges, such as the "ice-bucket challenge", have helped raise money for charity, but others, such as "bath salt challenge" can be risky, The Washington Post reported. In 2014, a teenager intentionally inhaled the prophylactic, according to data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

  • Ismael Montgomery