Coronavirus In Toronto Has A Second Confirmed Case

A man in his 50s who travelled to Toronto from China earlier this week has become the first Canadian case of the new coronavirus, health officials said Saturday as they urged calm in the face of an global outbreak.

Toronto Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa said the woman in her mid-50s, is "asymptomatic" at this point and they are checking in with her regularly, with no plans to transfer her to hospital.

"We are working alongside Toronto Public Health, who has been in regular contact with the individual during their self-isolation period", said Dr. Williams.

Tam said that the risk of Canadians contracting the disease is low and that the disease is spread through coming into close contact with an affected person.

An outbreak of the virus that began in Wuhan has killed 80 people, with roughly 2,800 cases confirmed so far.

While she did not mention the exact number of individuals which had been tested for the coronavirus regionally, she pointed out how there has not been a single confirmed case in Canada.

Public health officials said that they are looking into the passengers that were seated within a "certain distance" of the two passengers now confirmed to be infected. "We appreciate that many people have questions, however, we continue to ask that people respect these people's privacy as they recover".

We've already seen extreme travel restrictions placed on movement within China to try to contain the outbreak. Coronavirus can worsen and in some cases, it can evolve into a severe respiratory illness that could cause death.

Whiston attends historic China trade deal signing
US President Donald Trump hailed the trade deal signed last week with China for dramatically improving relations with Beijing. The Republican president wants another term in office and is seeking to shore up support among his base, including farmers.


"Whether it's novel coronavirus, influenza, other respiratory diseases, if you're sick, stay home and don't go out and socialize", Williams added.

Tam said the man showed signs of a mild cough on the flight, and he and his wife both disclosed their recent travel history upon landing at Pearson International Airport.

The news of Canada's first coronavirus patient comes as authorities around the world grapple with the new type of virus, which originated in China but has since spread to Europe and North America.

There are now 1,975 confirmed infections of the Wuhan coronavirus in China, which has so far killed 56 people.

The patient was brought to the hospital by fully-protected paramedics on Thursday but lab results weren't confirmed until today by the Public Health Ontario Laboratory. She did not provide exact numbers for these workers or even provide a general sense of how many of these officials are now at airports or will be there later this week. "We're trying to contact everyone, assess their specific need for assisted repatriation", he said.

The Canadian government is now advising citizens against all travel to a Chinese province that's at the centre of a global outbreak of a new form of coronavirus, stepping up an earlier warning about the region.

Symptoms of the illness include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, and most cases have been linked to the Huanan Seafood Market (also known as Wuhan South China Seafood City and South China Seafood Wholesale Market), according to the Government of Canada.

Last week, Quebec's Public Health Director Dr. Horacio Arruda said that Canadian province is investigating five suspected cases of the novel coronavirus.

  • Sonia Alvarado