Court systems limit proceedings, impose visitor restrictions amid coronavirus threat

But the Cork Personal Injuries list of cases due to start on Monday has been adjourned.

The federal court in Manhattan, one of the busiest dockets in the USA and the nation's main forum for insider-trading and other white-collar criminal cases, announced the suspension Thursday in response to the continuing spread of the coronavirus.

People who have any pending cases which are not considered emergencies are encouraged to call the proper court office to find out information about whether the case is proceeding or if it has been postponed, the statement said.

The order further says the clerk of superior court shall post a notice at the entrance to every court facility in their county directing that any person who has likely been exposed to COVID -19 should not enter the courthouse.

State courts will postpone all trials and most regular business in response to the spread of coronavirus.

The order, signed by Chief Judge Linda Bell and Nevada Supreme Court Chief Justice Kristina Pickering, states that beginning Monday all scheduled "non-essential" court hearings will be conducted by video or telephone, decided on the papers or rescheduled unless otherwise directed by a judge.

Chief Justice Catherine Holmes AC and Chief Judge Kerry O'Brien have, as a precautionary measure, suspended all new trials requiring a jury in Queensland.

Daniel Brown, a Toronto criminal defence lawyer, said the strict time limits imposed on court cases by the Supreme Court of Canada in 2016 make allowances for "exceptional circumstances", so any cases put on hold at this time likely won't be in jeopardy.

Harry And Meghan Appear At Mountbatten Festival Of Music
It comes after the couple did a series of engagements over the last week in the UK. Instead, they were seated prior to Her Majesty's arrival at the church.


Urgent applications will be permitted in both courts.

Prosecutors in cases where the accused is in pre-trial custody will work with defense attorneys to decide whether a court appearance is required, according to officials.

The order announced on Saturday reverses an edict issued Wednesday that required people scheduled for jury duty to serve. The Grand Jury and other proceedings that involve smaller groups of people will continue to go forward.

"We will continue to assess the ongoing need for the entry restrictions and update as warranted", the restricted access order notes.

With the exception of the Court of Appeal, the various levels of court will prioritize which cases appear before them as opposed to following their schedules.

Fears over the spread of COVID-19 in large gatherings have caused the cancellation of jury trials in Alberta until at least the end of May.

More details will be available early next week, the court said.

Additional sanitisation of public offices and courtrooms is being undertaken each day, and hygiene supplies for public offices and hand sanitisers for public areas are being installed now.

  • Sonia Alvarado