President Trump agrees to restore partial funding to WHO

In April, Trump said the United States would halt funding to the World Health Organization as his administration conducted a review of its management of the pandemic.

The report said the United States will pay about one-tenth of the previous level, or the amount that matches China's contributions.

The letter states that the administration agrees to pay mandatory contributions to WHO.

A World Health Organization spokeswoman in Geneva said on Tuesday the agency had no immediate comment on Trump's letter but expected to have "more clarity" and a reaction to it later in the day.

Trump then accused the United Nations body and Tedros of playing politics with people's health, criticizing their decision to "strongly" praise China's strict domestic travel restrictions while opposing his closing of USA borders and the ban on travellers coming from China.

Cuomo extends 'legal authority' for NY ON PAUSE order but not deadline
Regions can still start to reopen on or around May 15 if that particular region has reached the reopening criteria, officials say. Cuomo has organized seven Northeastern states on a regional reopening plan, but the states all have their own schedules.


Mr. Trump had temporarily stopped the funding last month and begun a review of the WHO's handling of the pandemic, which the President and others in his administration have repeatedly criticised, particularly the global health body's relationship to China.

But White House National Security Council spokesman John Ullyot called it "a token to distract from calls from a growing number of nations demanding accountability for the Chinese government's failure to. warn the world of what was coming".

"They gave us a lot of bad advice", he said of the WHO. "We regret the decision of the president of the United States to order a hold in funding to the World Health Organization".

On January 14, the World Health Organization gratuitously reaffirmed China's now-debunked claim that the coronavirus could not be transmitted between humans, stating: "Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) identified in Wuhan, China". Recently, WHO had announced launching an independent review of the coronavirus pandemic. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said this month there was "significant" evidence that it had come from a laboratory in Wuhan, a charge China rejects.

  • Sonia Alvarado